Sunday, September 20, 2009

DOUBLE FEATURE! Moulin Rouge and 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY


Giant fetus in space.

Why??

I still don't know. The movie was amazing, especially for the time (1968). The story is split in four parts, the predominant one being the Jupiter Mission. The Dawn of Man is the tale of a tribe of monkey's (us!) who wake to find a large black monolith outside their cave for the night. Some of the creepiest music I've ever heard follows. The next section is TMA-1, which follows a professor heading to space to discuss something important with the men on the moon (saying as much as possible without spoilers). Jupiter Mission follows the story of two men on a mission to Jupiter with their sentient ship system, HAL. You can guess what happens then. Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite is the last section, and cannot be summarized, because I have no idea what happened. It however related to the above picture.
The effects were unarguably impressive, the acting was convincing, and HAL presents to me a mind-fuck like no other: Can a computer, programmed and designed to be logical, become driven by actual, true emotion?

"Stop.
Stop Dave.
Dave...stop. Dave...I'm afraid."

I got chills when he said those lines.
I would be working this out still, but the galactic infant is a more pressing dilemma. Stanley Kubrick is kinda messed up, yo.
____________________________________________________________________

Moulin Rouge



THAT was fun. That was probably one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Nicole Kidman is beautiful and exciting and at times ridiculously over the top with her AYYYYAYAYA-ing. When Christian's awkwardly singing her Elton John and she's having a screaming orgasm on the bed, I burst out laughing. Ewan McGregor was great too, actually. I'd argue to say I liked every predictable minute of it, save the line "I'll always be with you," which just HAS to be uttered for a love story to be a love story. Still, it was great. This is what good showmanship looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment