Sunday, September 13, 2009

Movies You Haven't Seen

I'm being a bit presumptuous with with that title there, but I've decided that from this point on when I go out of my way to watch an obscure Sundance film, or when I dig through Asian pop culture to find gems like the previously reviewed "Old Boy," this is where those reviews will go. Sorry if I am mistaken.

ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW

Before I went to sleep after viewing this film, I despised it. I thought it was pretentious and awkward, a Sundance standard flop, and I was disappointed with the many film festivals that had showered it with praise and awards. After sleep, it seemed interesting and thought provoking, despite the indeterminable separation between drama and comedy (were the metaphors also the punchlines?). Still, the awkwardness with which it carried itself plagued me, and I can't say I enjoyed watching it. There was too much garbage in between the truly interesting bits. Cinematic dumpster diving.
The most interesting dialogue in the film:
"How did you hurt your hand?"
"Do you want the long story, or the short one?"
"The long one."
"I was trying to save my life, and it didn't work."
"Well what's the short one?"
"I burned it."

No comments:

Post a Comment