Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Virgin Suicides In Review

Angst.

It makes an exceptional movie theme, and it's no secret. To say that it is overused is putting it lightly.
Still, the Virgin Suicides may very well become one of my favorite movies that I've seen over the last year. The characters are compelling and the story is believable, the acting is convincing and the narrator is a poetic spirit. The angsty teenagerism of it might be overwhelming for some adults, but I am not an adult, and I am not overwhelmed or under appreciative. Lux is a bit of a cliche, the free spirit with the binding situation, but Kirsten Dunst pulls it off well in what has to be my favorite performance by her, though I don't have much to base that on, considering i'm not a fan usually. Also, isn't that just a great name, Lux? It sounds like an unstable chemical, which makes a lot of sense really.

This is probably a movie I'm going to watch in ten years and hate for being pretentious and intolerably vague, the way my thirty-something-year-old uncle hates American Beauty, and maybe he's right and I'm wrong. But from this world view, it was a great film, and if you are not thirty-something, you may feel that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment